Sunday, June 8, 2008

I don't think this old body is quite ready for Zumba!!!



As a struggling small business owner, I am a card carrying member of the local chamber of commerce. Not sure how helpful it has been for my business, but have met quite a few fun and interesting people. At breakfast a few weeks ago a new member at our table mentioned that she taught a Zumba class. Now I try and keep up and partake in any and all the latest fad diets and workouts, but this one was new for me. Obviously, I am a bit behind the times. So of course, I get home and immediately google it, find some video clips on the web and naturally the offical Zumba website. It looked fun, although everyone in the videos appeared fit and fabulous.

I am a huge fan of Dancing with the Stars. I find them amazing and can't imagine becoming that good in such a short amount of time. I understand now why they all loose the extra pounds and get in such great shape. This was my idea of breaking into the star mode. My first 1 hour Zumba class I took yesterday was enough to send me to the Ibuprofen bottle as soon as I got home. Now for those as uninformed of this new workout regimen as I was, it appears to be a combo of all of the the Latin dances (mambo, samba, etc.) with some hip hop and a few other dances I'd never heard of thrown in for good measure.

Now my new contact and our teacher was this itty bitty gal about as big as a knat and with Spanish heritage that I believe enabled her to move her parts in ways that this old body of mine was never going to move in, no matter how many classes I take. I think I should crawfish out of this new exercise craze and head back to Pilates until my breathing returns to normal.

1 comment:

North Georgia Gal said...

So should the alternate title be ZumByeBye? Welcome to the blogosphere.. I have now subscribed - If I can't get a Jo'z latte - at least I can get a blog of the Jo'z humor!

m.